18twenty8® is an award-winning, women-led Non Profit Organisation that empowers young women, from disadvantaged backgrounds, by developing strategies for their educational and personal development. We encourage young women, predominantly between the ages of 18 and 28, to view higher education as an attractive and necessary tool for their empowerment. We have carved a niche for ourselves by being one of a few organisations in South Africa that is 100% led by young women who empower other young women. Our approach is empathetic, skills-enhancing and relevant to the young women we serve since we have experienced some of our beneficiaries' challenges first-hand.
Our objectives are to:
- Facilitate life-skills workshops for girls in Grade 11 and Grade 12 at high schools in marginalised communities
- Provide mentors for young women at tertiary-level through our Big Sister Network
- Provide financial assistance for the higher educational needs of deserving young women
- Produce successive generations of mentors and educated women professionals in all sectors
- Curb youth unemployment by recruiting and training community-based youth to facilitate our workshops